6 Ways to Always Look Fantastic in Photos
Photography tips and tricks to help you look your best.
From school yearbooks to friends’ weddings, we’ve all been in front of camera at some point or another and if you’ve recently looked at a photo with disdain then this post’s for you. If you know that you’re going to have a lens pointed in your direction in the near future, below are six simple ways to get better results.
1. Get to Know Your Face. This applies to professional photoshoots as well as every day photos. Take time getting to know your face, how to smile naturally and which side or angle of your face you like better.
2. Easy on the makeup. While an evening out is a different story when it comes to makeup, if you’re having headshots, family or maternity photos taken, go easy on the makeup. You want some basic coverage but don’t overdo it. You should also only stick to accentuating one part of your face so choose either your eyes or lips but not both.
3. Facing the camera. Your photographer will help you when it comes to posing for photos but in general you shouldn’t be facing the camera head on. Positioning your body at an angle always makes for better photos.
4. Controlling your chin. Photos where your neck is elongated and your chin is pushed slightly forward will lift your face and give it a more angular look. You might want to practice this beforehand in order to get used to it.
5. Pick your outfit carefully. Put some thought into what you’ll wear to your shoot. Pair bold designs and patterns with solid colors to avoid too much distraction. You should also pay attention to the fit and shape of your outfit. Make sure it compliments you and that you feel comfortable.
6. Use lighting to your advantage. This is something that your professional photographer will be an expert at but the right lighting can mean the difference between that wow factor and disappointment. Avoid standing directly under a light as this will create weird shadows on your face. This is something we will help you out with because we are experts so take our advice when we suggest a specific time for photos. If shooting outdoors, the best light will be 15-20 minutes before & after sunset. Unless it’s an overcast day, we will always try to get you in full shade so that the lighting isn’t dappled or causing weird shadows on your face.
As much as the above tips will help you during your professional photoshoot, always remember to have fun and relax as this will do wonders for your photos.
Looking for a photographer for your next photo shoot?
If you're looking for a photographer for your next photo session in the Mountain Home, Arkansas area I would love to chat! You can get an instant quote on your session by clicking here.
IF YOU LIKE THIS BLOG, YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
I'm Michele McCoy, a family and wedding photographer in beautiful Mountain Home, Arkansas. I am also a blessed wife, mother of two sweet boys, nature enthusiast, and creative.
My passion for photography has grown over many years, from receiving my first disposable camera as a kid, to now capturing all those special moments in life within my own family and for my clients.
I have over 10+ years experience taking photos. My family and friends all told me that I should become a photographer. From there, I launched my business and found a mentor, an award winning photographer for 20+ years, to help me become the best photographer I could be.
Michele McCoy Photography
2045 Shadow Oaks Dr.
Mountain Home, AR 72653